Monday, January 5, 2009

It has been a DIY week

Many of you know that I moved from California to Idaho 3 years ago. While moving I hurt my back really bad and had to have a couple of surgeries the first year I was here. So my first couple of years here were spent recovering. Anyway when I arrived my son and his wife set up my house for me unpacking the things they thought I needed. Although I had everything I needed I felt like I was living in a hotel. A lot of my furniture was new so it really did not even feel like I was home. Now that I am feeling better, I have spent this past year trying to make my house my home. Of course I started with my office and you can find pictures of that posted on my website. Then I did a few things with my living room and kitchen because that and my office is where I spend most of my time. Well this week I decided it was time for some changes in my bedroom. We had bought a sleep number bed and put it on a metal frame, I had my dresser and vanity and fireplace from California and a little corner desk that had the TV on. We really did not spend much time in there though because it just was not comfortable.

I started with the corner desk. It was really just a cheep students desk but I got hubby to build some shelf’s above by adding backing and sides and suddenly it looked like a cheep students desk with shelf’s…lol. So I used some textured paintable wall papers then painted it brown and highlighted the texture with gold. I think it came out pretty well!


 
 But that left me with one more problem. If we wanted to sit in bed and watch TV there was nothing to lean against and we would hit our heads on the window seal : [ We needed a headboard and I wanted it to be padded so it would be comfy. Hubby cut a piece of wood paneling and we used spray glue to attach some foam and batting. I then covered that with muslin thinking I would just make a slipcover to match the bedding…. But I did not like the bedding : / It had been a gift from my mom. It was a beautiful quilt but it was an orangey red with yellow and gold flowers :P just not my colors….So needing to do this on the cheep, I got a bottle of red dye … I figured it could not get worse …lol. I actually like how it came out. The red is a much more blue red and now all the yellow flowers and kinda rose colored. Well I ran to town and picked up so red ultra suede fabric. Because the tailored look is just not me I smocked the slip cover for the headboard and then made a couple of pillow shames too.

The last little problem you can see in the picture. It is my 15 year old little yorkie. He recently started having trouble getting up and down off the bed he shares with us. I did not want to make the little set of stairs because I just think it looks stupid so I fixed that problem by adding a couple of wood boxes to the foot of the bed.

10 comments:

Lorraine said...

I love your sexy bedroom makeover..those shelves are excellent and the colour of the bedspread is nice and warm..very vintagey looking and how kind to put little boxes for your dog..but dont do your back in again going diy mad!!!

StampinCathy said...

Great bedroom. It's so clean. Is this cuz you took a picture of it. LOL

Kersten said...

You've been busy, my stamping friend! There's nothing better than home improvements that make your world a little more comfy! :)

Lynn Stevens said...

Inka It looks like youve made your house a Home!! Glad your feeling better. I did my back in about 15 years ago. It took surgery and along time to heal also. So I feel your pain. Have a Great Happy Healthy New Year!!

Moni said...

Gorgeous bedroom makeover! Hugs, Moni

Kim said...

Ah , you are definitely up and moving around lol. Jeez. Love the bedroom makeover , that looks fabulous! Over-dyeing gives me the heebies lol - you are so brave!

Carolyn said...

Fantastic, Inka. I love your new headboard and the color of the spread. It is a luscious color after you altered it!

Your DIY projects are inspiring and we can't wait for your next one.

Carolyn

Kristy C said...

It looks GREAT!!

Gayle Page-Robak said...

It sounds like it was a lot of work but it looks beautiful, Inka...!!

Hussey said...

You've been busy, my stamping friend! There's nothing better than home improvements that make your world a little more comfy!..I like your bedroom..!