Thursday, February 23, 2012

Tattered Lighting

Although I have not been blogging much and I had a ton of junk going on, I still somehow found time to do a few creative things around the house and I thought I would share one of them with you today.

I finally got hubby to run the electricity for the wall sconce I picked up on ebay. The shade it came with looked ridiculous. It was an oval but it hit the wall and was obviously too large. I wish I had taken a picture of it before...
So I picked up a round shade at the thrift shop and removed the paper from the wires. Then I cut a third off the back and straightened the wire that I removed, resoldered it back on so that it now had a flat side to go against the wall. Then I wrapped the entire frame with strips of torn muslin.




I sewed on sections of fabric and lace from my scrap bin, added some kewl buttons and...



I ended up with this... I was pretty happy with the outcome.



This is from the side. I wanted you to see how I sewed some of the scraps inside the frame and some on the outside of the frame... it really worked for that tattered effect I was after.




I have been up to a few more projects too! I think I mentioned I was working on a major redo of my studio so here is a sneek peek.




and this is a peek and one of the projects that I am working on too. This is a before glimpse however. I will be posting the before and after of all the projects soon!


11 comments:

Art From The heart said...

Happy to see your post and LOVE that lamp! What a terrific creative piece.
Hugs

Carolyn said...

You are correct . . . a whole new look to your studio. Can't wait to see the finished room. You did a fantastic job recreating the sconce.

Hugs,
C

lindacreates said...

The lamp is gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Hi Thanks for visiting my blog, I just placed your badge on my second blog and will add it to the one you visited in the morning, now it will be real easy to find you:) Hugs Marilou PS Here is the link http://luluslovliesheartfulcreations.blogspot.com/

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Beautiful lamp! I came over from Pinterest and have been scrolling through, collecting wonderful images from your blog. Thanks so much! laurie

Michele said...

gorgeous lamp! wow. xo

Treasures by Louise said...

Hi! I just found your blog after searching Etsy for Halloween Labels. What a great shade for your sconce! I'm going to have fun exploring your blog. Please stop over and visit my blog, when you get a chance.

Sister Brute said...

I love the shade!

Verdigris Studio Arts said...

I sure love that lamp now! Just right shade for it...well done!

jennifer berkhahn said...

Very pretty

Unknown said...

The lamp is beautiful. Dawn xx